5/14/17

STITCHES (2012)

Written by: Tim Nordstedt.

Alot of people have compared this Irish clown-themed movie directed by Conor McMahon, to Peter Jacksons classic Bad Taste, something I don't really agree on but I can understand where the thoughts are coming from, when it comes to excessive gore and humour Peter Jacksons classic trilogy set the bar innovatingly high in the old days.






Stitches isn't over the top grisly and homemade as Bad Taste, neither like Braindead allthough it's closer in comparison, it's more like Jake Wests and a bit of Alex Chandons funnier and gorier works, not because they are English but it's laid back, a little more down to earth but still funny and then some scenes interrupts it all and explodes with a nice portion of blood, viscera, eyeballs and gore and still maintain to be funny.

A miserable clown who hates his job and children has to take himself to a birthdayparty to perform in front of the birthdayboy Tom who just became ten and a clung of annoying, badly behaved, loudmouthed kids. The performance doesn't go so well and after being hit with some objects Stitches falls into some sharp kitchentools in the dishwasher and dies shortly thereafter.

Six years later Tom still have horrifying visions of clowns but his friends couldn´t be more careless when it comes to that old incident, and especially not when they are planning to have a big party. Meanwhile an occult group of clowns holds a seance to invoke spirits, they manage to bring back Stitches, and in perfect time to exact an revenge on those he hold responsible for his death.

The first thing that comes to my mind is: Oh this is so Brittish, and that accent, what is it, Cockney? I don't know but it's awesome and alot of people will need subtitles I suppose and it's also Irish which isn't making things easier I think. Stitches does have it's Brittish/Irish charm and casting Ross Noble as Stitches should have given me a couple of hints but that fact just went by my head, Stitches is however alot worse than his standups but in a good way, by that I mean it's less cleaned up, rougher humour, sicker, greasier and gorier.

I did enjoy this one, it didn't make me laugh my guts out or to a cramping point but I smiled along the way and the creative murder-scenes where really enjoyable, although some of them felt pretty randomly thrown in just for fun without any thoughts of continuation, but complaining about logic in these types of movies feels pretty douchy and  it's probably dumber than the movies you are watching. In the big run it delivered exactly what it was suppose to, the ending was a bit hasted but I don't know how else it would end so I'm fine with it. And I seriously doubt that a bunch of sixteen years old would go crazy over Cutting Crews song (And I Just) Died In Your Arms, that is actually one thing that I will classify as completely illogic!

Two things are for sure, I'm going to see this movie again and I want to start an occult clown movement!

Rating: 3.5 out of 5.



Directed by: Conor McMahon
Written by: Conor McMahon, David O'Brien.
Produced by: Badie Ali, Hamza Ali, Malik B. Ali, Julianne Forde, Brendan McCarthy, John McDonnell, John McKeon, Greg Newman, Ruth Treacy.
Cinematography by: Patrick Jordan
Editing by: Chris Gill
Special Effects by: Aoife Noonan, Ben O'Connor, Michael Roe.
Music by: Paul McDonnell
Cast: Ross Noble, Tommy Knight, Shane Murray-Corcoran, Gemma-Leah Devereux, Thommas Kane Byrnes, Eoghan McQuinn, Roisin Barron, Hugh Mulhern, Tommy Cullen, Lorna Dempsey, Jemma Curran.
Year: 2012
Country: Ireland
Language: English
Color: Color
Runtime: 1h 26min

Distributor: MPI Media Group/ Dark Sky Films.


Share: