5/21/17

KNARKAREN - ...PUT UNINSPIRED TITLE HERE... (2017)

Artist: Knarkaren
Album: ...Put Uninspired Title Here...


Year: 2017
Genrer: Atmospheric Black Metal, Post Metal
Run time: 24 minutes
My rating: 5 out of 5
REVIEW WRITTEN BY: GREIGH JOHANSON. BAND PHOTOS

A while ago my friend Tim sent me a link to this EP and it took me a day before I even hurried to grab the link and listen to it. I could already distribute its associated genre via the bandname; which loudly echoed DSBM in my pusfilled ears. In the coming days, I sat on the bus to work with my headphones at the highest volume to investigate this EP and after the first five seconds of the introduction to the track "Pissprisms" I quickly became curious to listen further.

With these well-chosen words above, I want to say that I, just like a "drug addict", got stuck in Knarkaren. Track by track offered a lot of well-structured riffs and smart twists in a different shape than I had expected. This is rather a mix between avantgardistic post- and atmospheric black metal, which I find unbelievably hard to let go (Yes, I'm an admirably big fan of Agalloch, Kauna and Drudkh, to name a few).

The artist is currently an unknown band, probably a one-man project by someone living in Mölndal or Gothenburg in Västra Götaland, Sweden. The artist is linked to Cirsium Kollektivet, a small independent label that releases extremely limited editions on cassettes and CDs. I made a chose to order the respective titles available there via and Knarkaren, like the artist Gristårar, seem to have extreme connections since the soundscape is similar to each other (I can definitely be wrong, so please do not judge me) but it seems that it's the same person behind these projects.

Either way, Knarkaren was formed in 2016 and ...Put Uninspired Title Here... is the band's first EP released April 4, 2017. With titles such as "Garden of Magnetic Words", "Throwing Up All These Sunny Sundays" and "Gray Birds Breeding" a fragment of obscurity is secreted and the experimental touch quickly snaps life into the brain's febrile activity.

You can't put your finger on what's so surprisingly good with this music, but the form, as well as the performance, differs significantly from all other artists in the same genres. It's like taking an optional Neofolk artist, mixing it with others like Robert Smith, Jim Morrison, Rick Wakeman and Olav Berland. It will not be the same, definitely not, but possibly the closest equality one can come.

From having preconceived opinions of being a typical DSBM band, I'm sure to find that this experimental appearance has given me thoughts about the just opposite direction. Knarkarens debut EP is one of the best in its genres released this year. And I hope we meet yet another great release at the end of the year, because I've soon broken this cassette through constantly listening.

I can not compare this to any previous artists at all, just listen and take it for what it is; A preparation that penetrates your sick minds into your third collapsing eye. Some of the alien nature of the songs will beat you beyond all puzzling thoughts.


MORE DETAILS:

Band members:
Knarkaren - All instruments

Label: Cirsium Kollektivet
Country: Sweden

Bandcamp: https://knarkaren.bandcamp.com/


Share: