4/26/17

CHERISH (2016)

Written by: Richard Taylor.

U.K. wacko's Freckerr Productions are fairly new on the scene with their debut short Turn Heel awhile back and now they have delivered an even more twisted myriad of madness with Cherish.  A short which encompasses the groups fascination with real life extreme viral videos it would seem.  A long segment in the film is taken up by different disgusting real life videos looping such as animal cruelty, various extreme sexual acts and real life accidents, executions and murders.



One compilation of sick shit that comes to mind is The Most Disturbed Person on Planet Earth which is probably the most well known but I'm sure there are dozens of others that I'm not familiar with as I don't watch many mondo features or real death videos.  Years ago I did watch most of The Traces Of Death videos because I was a big fan of death metal music and the combination of death metal and real death footage was a winning combination in my opinion. From time to time I come across a scattered video on Facebook or online that the little Satan on my shoulder takes over and tells me click that play button such as The Mexican Chainsaw Massacre where two drug cartel traitors are executed in graphic fashion with chainsaw and knife or 3 Guys, 1 Hammer where these Russian Dnepropetrovsk maniacs kids killing and filming with their phone the bum with the screwdriver and cutting him open, one I had to switch off as it was too bothersome to finish.

Cherish uses that rough looking poor VCR fuzzy tracking quality to give it that extra snuff style footage quality like you shouldn't be watching kind of feel to it.  We also get footage that makes it seem like the movie was taped over some cartoons and also with an absence of credits they try to give it that authenticity. I think the short film offers some decent atmosphere here with the music of Brian Paulin's band Syoth adding an extra feel of rage fueled insanity into the mix.

I like the idea and what Freckerr Productions were trying to achieve with this, it definitely has a nasty edge to it and with this budget I think they did as much as they could with the effects.  Not much dialogue except a couple lines from the couple who find the tape and are lured, drugged and tortured. I was trying to figure out what was up with the goofy happy go lucky music looping in particular scenes but I guess there has to be a light contrast somewhere amongst all the doom and gloom.

I think the use of the film footage could have been lessened a bit, I get the idea that the real life footage is extreme but if I want to see  a lot of that shit I will watch one of the compilations especially the sexual stuff with girls shoving different over sized objects in their anuses and pussies. Its overused, I get the idea already, I don't need to see champagne bottles, pineapples and whatever the fuck else they can fit in there, women have babies, I know, I have kids, I was there.

The story in Cherish follows a couple who while out frolicking one day in the park having a gay old time stumble upon a fucked up looking video cassette tape covered in bloody guts.  The girlfriend doesn't want anything to do with it but the boyfriend wants to take it home and watch it.  Little do the poor saps know it was strategically placed there by a group that like performing some of the same shit that is featured on the tape.  The couple  take it home and watch it, obviously the cult followed them and slip some shit in their drinks while they are away and thus the two end up in  the clutches of these snuff film making maniacs as part of their next production.  The two are tied to chairs and tortured and killed in various ways.  Some of the effects in this are very memorable such as the highlight for me technical-wise being the garden shear castration sequence and a nice gut pulling scene scene to go with it.

Cherish is a decent short, Freckerr Productions definitely have the right mindset and hopefully continue to grow and improve with each movie they put out there.  The crew are big underground movie fans so they definitely understand the struggle and passion of putting time into this stuff which is usually a pure labor of love.  Check out Freckerr Productions on Facebook as they have another film in the works titled Mummy Cop and are definitely the personification of low budget underground indie film making.

Rating: 3 out of 5.



Directed by: Freckerr Productions
Written by: Freckerr Productions
Produced by: Christopher Wykes
Cinematography by: Freckerr Productions
Editing by: Christopher Wykes
Special Effects by: Christopher Wykes, JG and Matt Freckingham
Music by: Syoth
Cast: Baron Mynd's 2 Unknown Females, Dan Grainger, Kerr Wykes, Matt Freckingham
Year: 2016
Country: U.K
Language: English
Color: Color
Runtime: 26min

Distributor: Freckerr Productions




Share: