3/23/17

A GOOD NEIGHBOOR - WONDERFUL LIFE (2016)

Artist: A Good Neighboor
Album: WONDERFUL LIFE


Year: 2016
Genrer: Grindcore, Noise
Run time: 9 minutes
My rating: 3 out of 5
REVIEW WRITTEN BY: CHANG WONG. BAND PHOTOS

When I got this album sent to me to review I had not the slightest clue what to expect. The album front cover is a picture of someone pouring a water pitcher in a garden on a sunny day. Anyway, this one man band is apparently from Sweden. The man behind it all goes by the name Wolfgang. 

The first thing that entered my mind when I pressed play was - this has to be the creation of someone with mental illness or at least someone very, very far out there. The music sounds like a cat being put in a blender on full speed. I’m not exaggerating. This, ladies and gentlemen, is grindcore, or something like that, on the most warped level. Just like Sete Star Sept, from Japan, it sounds like only vocals, bass and drums. It is so chaotic and random it almost become hypnotizing after a few spinns.

The titles are just as absurd as the music. To give some examples: ”Happy days”, ”Gardening”, ”Will you be my girlfriend” and ”My time to shine”. This has to be a comedic contrast to the music itself, obviously.

I did not really expect this one man band to be from Sweden. All I can say is that I have never really heard anything like it. I think you have to listen to it yourself to get the idea, which you can do at their Bandcamp profile. There you can find two albums, which seems to be the entire discography to date. The other album, that came after ”Wonderful life” is called ”Wholesome family fun”.

To sum up it all. A Good Neighbour is not your run of the mill type of band. I guess you’ll either love or hate it. I kind of liked it.



MORE DETAILS:

Band members:
Wolfgang - Bass, guitar, vocals, drums

Label: Independent
Country: Sweden

Bandcamp: https://agoodneighbour.bandcamp.com


Share: