8/21/15

AFTERMATH (1994)

Directed by: Nacho Cerdà
Written by: Nacho Cerdà
Stars: Pep Tosar, Jordi Tarrida, Ángel Tarris, Xevi Collellmir.


Year: 1994
Genrer: Drama, Horror, Short
Run time: 30 minutes
My rating: 5 out of 5
REVIEW WRITTEN BY: GREIGH JOHANSON. SCREENSHOTS

Aftermath is the second part of spanish director Nacho Cerdas death-trilogy and this one is possibly one of the most talked about extreme-films ever made. In the 90s, this was also a film I looked forward to watch for a very long time, but it wasn't until the american distributor Unearthed Films released it on dvd when I decided to purchase it and behold it for the very first time.

This shortfilm tells us about an obducent (Pep Tosar) who work diligently at a morgue with what he does best: Autopsy humans. He has no special connection with the rest of the building and stay happy by himself - Let us call him a loner. No one really knows what's hidden in this man's fantasies. But when it comes to closing time, he stays alone over the night to perform his odd actions....

I must say that Aftermath reached up to my expectations - but in a completely wrong way. This was a film that made me realize that some extreme films not only focus on the violence and gore as a starting point, but also that there is a certain passion in terms of aesthetics and cinematic art. I became fascinated by Nacho's camera technology and filtration, and not forget to mention the use of Mozart's music that has a tendency to shoot Cupid's love arrows at the bottom of my heart in the context of the film's content of necrophilia. It's rarely that extreme films are beautiful to look at, but Aftermath managed to catch me really hard.

It's brutal and loaded with sharp and wellplaced symbolism, but it's not about telling a story, it's not about a revealing character, it's just the depiction of a moment in time and space. This moment can't adequately be described in words, or painting, nor even in music. Nacho's philosophical thoughts of death is obscured for many viewers by the graphic nature of the film and of a taboo subject, but the clinical detachment of the first half of the film helps us get perspective on it, especially when it's contrasted with the intense and stylized parties from the other half.

I had a tendency to overlook the film's real theme; necrophilia. There were so many other aspects to focus on and that's probably what I like most about this film. The short playing time just floated away and I forced myself to watch it several times and speculate about the film's entirety. I still don't know what Nacho have to say with the storyline, but one thing is certain: it's one of the world's most beautiful short films ever made.

Aftermath doesn't feel excessive or mannered, because it's a depiction of a moment in life. I think it's fascinating and interesting, and even if necrophilia can be considered to be distasteful, I don't think this film is designed for you to become visually disgusted. I really recommend it to all openminded people who can take it for what it really is; True cinematic art!



MORE DETAILS:

Produced by: Nacho Cerdà, Joseph Maar
Cinematography by: Christopher Baffa
Editing by: Raul Almanzan
Special Effects by: ?
Music by: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Country: Spain
Language: None
Color: Color

Distributor: Unearthed Films







Share: