2/20/15

LA RAÍZ DEL MAL (2008)

Written by Greigh Johanson

La Raíz del Mal (The Root of Evil) is the Spanish company "Eskoria Films" third feature film , and in this part of the design a Fantasy-method has repulsed the team's skulls. In my hopes of a fun and benign film, the project falls abruptly with an undertone of seriousness. Is it really true ? Have Eskoria Films made ​​a serious horror film? How will this end.






The introduction of this film reminds me a lot about Ralph Bakshi's animated version of "The Lord of the Rings" from 1978. It's well produced and creating a magical feeling during the entire opening process, but ultimately it's something that's slowly falling apart and the whole thing feels like the film doesn't really takes me to the level I had in mind. The spectacle and the whole plot feels too flat and my critical peak falls abruptly to a level that I hadn't hoped for.


A farming village is attacked by demons from a nearby forest. The men become suddenly brutally murdered, while women are kidnapped and taken to the depths of the forest. What they don't know is that these women will soon be included in a bloody ritual. A young survivor of the people is now moving into the forest to get her mother back. It requires both courage and strength, but the big question is if the mission will be completed?


The medieval environment in Spain and its costumes are fun to pay attention to and the props are really hot. It's not its detailed application from a theatrical and legalistic set that is the problem with the film, but it's all the nagging and all extended scenes that make up the vast negativity in my eyes. This could possibly be because Spanish isn't my native language, and listening to a foreign language makes me very tired and there is too much focus on it, as well as plot and execution, and it takes a long time before anything actually starts to happen.


I wouldn't say that the film is very original either. As usual Eskoria Films working to flirt with older horror films, and that's what I like the most about their films. In La Raíz del Mal they have chosen to focus on living trees which makes me think of "Evil Dead", "Little Otik: My Greedy Guts" and the Asian film "Acacia". The team is demonstrably good at special effects and gore sequences, which they have previously been demonstrated in their shortfilms, and as usual, it's also divine to look at the effects in this film. But the tree theme will determine if this is a way to comedy or not. It's up to you as a viewer to decide.



As a whole I was a little disappointed in this movie and instead I think Eskoria Films will put their focus on shortfilms. Now I will not judge them in advance because there are still a few films left to see. But La Raíz del Mal was simply nothing for me. This is a film for those who like fantasy involved with living trees that find it entertaining to play with people in a very bloody way.


Share: