1/18/15

AsHEs (2012)

Written by: Tim Nordstedt.

The first time I heard of an artist that used his blood to create an artwork was for the cover of Centurians Choronzic Chaos Gods painted by their guitarist Rob Oorthuis, I got beyond limits of fascinations with that combination and tried to utilize the method myself, but for more than one reason I ended up in making a mess of everything so I´ll stick to pens and oil and achrylic while keeping the bloodplay in a completely different departement that doesn´t involve a canvas.




However after a couple of years I stumbled into the astonishing artwork of the French multitalented artist Maxime Taccardi who have indeed perfected the art of litterally putting his own blood into the works. Maxime is not only a painter, he is also a musician doing the vocal duties for the black metal band Bubonic Christians and being the main composer for  K.F.R the release Death March of the latter one has a really neat cover and sadly I have missed both of the constellations but I´m looking forward to check them out!

Apart from paintings and music he have now entered a third form of art, namely the world of movies. AsHEs (ashes) is a short film by Maxime Taccardi and Kristyn Emily and I had no idea what to expect but judging by his art I was more than certain that it would be something surreal and out of the ordinary.

It´s only about five and a half minutes long and goes deeper than what you can see because the images in this film is set up by with the easiest means possible and if you don´t have the brain connected to an easier active mode you´re going to discard this with once. Everything seems meaningless like a thrown and pasted together pretentious black and white flick that a college filmstudent would try to pass as a metaphor of some way but within the first minute everything slowly builds layers and layers of mental ruins, decay and the hopelessness of humankinds meaningless recycle and reiteration.

As I stated above this movie is in tasteful black and white and made with stylistic simplicity although with a whole lot of heart put into it or maybe I should say the lack of it. There is no point for me to describe the story or get into everything frame by frame, this one you have to see for yourselves because if I´m going to give away anything it´s going to sound more than silly but bare with me here, persons in bunnyears doing a bizarre animalistic, destructive charade of the everyday life of humanity from the creation to the end, now doesn´t that sound really stupid?

It does and a couple of seconds in i was wondering how the hell I´m suppose to write a review of this but as it everything loosened up in my head as time passed on and the images started to connect and make sense it truly became a great interesting experience, short but still a steady nihilistic path that levitates one to a shapeless irreligious void of complete and utter nothingness.

Now I have to emphasize on the symbolism of this movie, this is how I percieved it and how my mind connected the dots to fit with my bleak and nihilistic personality and it did so rather well, but it does not add up with the visions of Maxime and thats the wonderful complication with symbolism, there are thousands of answers and thoughts that can accumulate from one screen, so do not see this with my written thoughts in mind because in general I would probably not recommend the material in my brain to anyone at all, watch this movie with a clear and empty mind and who knows what you will end up with, and in the end you might want to compare your vision with the creator and see if you will learn something more out of the experience.

Rating: 3 out of 5.



Directed by: Maxime Taccardi, Kristyn Emily 
Written by: Maxime Taccardi
Produced by: Maxime Taccardi 
Cinematography by: ?
Editing by: Benjamin Champenois, Maxime Taccardi
Special Effects by: David Lopez, Jeremy Selenfriend
Music by: Matias Autio, Maxime Taccardi
Cast: Kristyn Emily, Wyatt Hartman, Maxime Taccardi
Year: 2012
Country: France
Language: None
Color: Black & White.
Runtime: 5min

Distributor: Maxime Taccardi Art.



Share: