5/12/13

BLACK METAL VEINS (2012)

Written by: Greigh Johanson

Black Metal Veins is a documentary that I had been looking forward to see since I did the interview with Lucifer. Here we will see him with a signed contract in hand, getting permission to document the life and death of some young drug-abusing Black Metal-musicians in Canada.






This movie unflinchingly documents the dark realities of despair and morbid self annihilation surrounding the lives of five heroin junkies. The addicts' intertwining stories of pain, loss, sadness, and abandonment lead the viewer down the agonizing and hideous path of horrifying psychological and spiritual destruction as the grim disease of heroin addiction infects and decays the bodies and minds of five young people.

It focuses more on the drug problem than on the fully Black Metal environment and its music. This is an anti-drug film, and I promise that you'll not feel eager to use drugs after this miserable discovery. I was very upset when I saw it and just came to think of my old friends around the black metal circle. Many of them have already died and some of them will never get back to real life again. The drugs were the biggest reason why I left the raw and true Black Metal spirit and I'm just disgusted by the idea. I consider myself really lucky that I was strong enough to keep out from that idiocy.

Well, Black Metal Veins are not some assembled ploy with an underlying script - This isn't a mockumentary. What you're about to see is truly performed actions and I promise that it's not a pretty sight. We will follow a group of people for a year when they smoke crack, injects heroin and use harder drugs. The documentary starts from a time when there were opportunities to put on rehabilitation and clarify their problematic documents - until the disagreement between defiance and the actual boiling idiocy to accept what they are doing and accept what they are destroying. There is further no empathy and joy in these people and they'll never stop until the last needle is reached.

We'll see unkempt hygiene, vomits, overdoses, real death, 'necrophilia'?, rape and a case where instead of paying for an abortion; shoot heroin through the stomach in hope that the fetus will die. This is a documentary far away from the ordinary and it requires great strength to look through it. I tried to count how many times they injected syringes during the movie, but I lost count after 60 minutes.

I thought the movie was interesting and I liked how Lucifer had composed it in its entirety. It's very uncomfortable and arouses great emotions. It's a very daring documentary, but if you have seen Lucifers earlier movies then you know what you will have to take part of. It's really insane and shows us the true spirit of Black Metal!

Rating: 4 out of 5.


Directed by: Lucifer Valentine
Written by: None
Produced by: Lucifer Valentine
Cinematography by: Lucifer Valentine
Editing by: Lucifer Valentine
Special Effects by: None
Music by: ?
Cast: ?
Year: 2012
Country: Canada
Language: English 
Color: Color
Runtime: 1h 31min

Distributor: Unearthed Films


Share: